Thursday, May 21, 2009

18 years ago


18 years have passed but I still remember that date very well. The date which gave a big shock to our Nation and its countrymen.

We had been to our native to enjoy our summer vacations. I was happy to get first rank and promotion to next class-3rd Std. There was mixed response for one more thing- Dad’s transfer to Assam which wasn’t considered very safe place (then and now too). It was mixed coz we were excited to explore new place but at the same time there was fear too.

And in the amidst of all these, this news was broken and whole of my village and Nation mourned.
“Rajeev Gandhi has been assassinated” spread like fire in the forest. Very few people had TV in my native 18 years back. Radio and newspaper were best source of communication. He had gone to Sriperumbudur for campaigning. For the first time suicide bombing was used for a great loss to our country.

Whole village mourned so do I. But their reasons were different from mine. For an innocent child like me, we lost Rajeev Gandhi who was our PM and very handsome person whom I admired. But later as years passed, I realized what we lost. We lost a gem. We lost an icon, politician who believed in bringing reforms.

I always hated LTTE who were mastermind behind his assassination. Few days back when news of LTTE chief Prabhakaran’s death was broken, I felt bit good. I paid my homage to Rajeev for the final justice. Today I do the same again on his 18th death Anniversary. May his soul rest in peace (Amen).

2 comments:

  1. I really dont think Rajiv Gandhi was a great leader, rather he is a reluctant one just riding on the Gandhi tag. And in our place there was no such sympathy over him because he was allegedly received kickbacks on Bofors deal and everybody treat him as Thief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed with Deepak,sadly the killing by LTTE made a Martyr out of an Unworthy person

    ReplyDelete